- Boards, Commissions & Committees
- Historic District Review Committee
Historic District Review Committee
The Historic District Review Committee (HDRC) acts on applications for Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs) for changes to properties within the Middleburg Historic District. The Historic District was established to preserve and protect the unique historical, architectural, cultural, and archaeological heritage represented by the original section of the Town, and all significant historic and archaeological resources within the Town.
When a Certificate of Appropriateness is needed
No exterior changes subject to view from a public street to any property within the Historic District may be made unless and until a COA has been approved by the HDRC. Such changes include, but are not limited to:
- Demolition of any building or structure, in whole or in part
- Alterations to any building or structure, such as building additions, replacement roofing or siding, alterations to or replacement of doors or windows, changes to any exterior paint colors
- Construction or erection of new buildings, structures or features, such as primary structures, sheds, FENCES, SIGNS (also requires a sign permit), detached garages, gazebos, decks, etc.
Routine maintenance and exact, in-kind repairs or replacement are excluded from needing a COA. However, please keep in mind that ANY change in form, material or color requires a COA.
The HDRC generally meets at 5:30 p.m. on the 1st Thursday of the month in the Town Office.
View HDRC meeting video, agendas and minutes.
Applying for a COA
Submit a complete COA application along with all accompanying materials and associated fee no later than fourteen (14) days before the next scheduled meeting. Please contact Planning & Zoning staff if you have any questions about the application process or whether or not you need a COA.
The HDRC uses the adopted Historic District Design Guidelines when reviewing applications for a COA. Applicants should carefully consult the Guidelines when preparing their proposals.
Historic District Map
The Town of Middleburg would like to recognize the members for their service on the HDRC.
|Timothy L Clites, AIA , Chair||12/31/2023|
|Punkin Lee, Vice-Chair||12/31/2025|
|William Anderson, AIA||12/31/2023|
|Cindy Pearson||Council Representative|
|Principal staff support:
Planning & Project Associate