About Council Meetings
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES covid-19
Due to the Declaration of Emergency & Disaster, the Council has adopted AN ORDINANCE TO IMPLEMENT EMERGENCY PROCEDURES AND EFFECTUATE TEMPORARY CHANGES TO ADDRESS CONTINUITY OF GOVERNMENTAL OPERATIONS DURING PANDEMIC DISASTER (COVID-19). This ordinance allows the Town Council to meet completely electronically to address important/essential matters related to the continuing work of the Town. Citizens who wish to attend and/or participate in the meetings will find the link for doing so at the top of the Council meeting agenda, which can be found under Official Meetings on the homepage.
Citizens are encouraged to register in advance should they wish to speak during the public comment sections or a public hearing (if applicable) by contacting the Town Clerk at (540) 687-5152 or via email. Citizens participating electronically may also use Zoom's "raise your hand" feature to be recognized during the public comment and/or public hearings. The public meetings will continue to be live streamed and videotaped for viewing on our website.
Unless otherwise scheduled, the Town Council meets in a regular meeting on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month and in work session and special meetings as needed. The Council meetings are held in the:
Town Hall Council Chambers
10 W Marshall Street
Middleburg, VA 20117
Meetings generally begin at 6 p.m.
Public Comment Period
Individuals or groups wishing to speak during a regular Council meeting shall be recognized by the Mayor during the Public Comment section of the meeting. Groups wishing to make a presentation are encouraged to submit a written request to the Town Clerk by noon on Friday prior to the regular meeting date. Public comments are for the purpose of allowing members of the public to present any Town business related matter, which in their opinion, deserves the attention of the Council. Public comments shall be accepted for a maximum of 30 minutes during the meeting.
Guidelines for Citizen Participation
- Comments should not be offered during the Public Comment period which pertains to a matter which is the subject of a public hearing
- Individuals will be limited to three minutes (5 minutes if representing a group)
- Remarks must be addressed to the Mayor and Council - not to the staff, audience or media
- Speakers must approach the podium and speak directly into the microphone and give their full name and address
Individuals appearing before the Council will not be allowed to:
- Address the Council on issues that do not concern the services, policies or affairs of the Town
- Engage in behavior that intimidates others
- Interrupt other speakers or engage in behavior that disrupts the meeting
- Make non-germane or frivolous statements
- Market or solicit business from the Town
- Use language which insults or demeans any person
- Use profanity or vulgar language or gestures
Placing Items on a Council Agenda
Any member of the public may request that an item be placed on a meeting agenda by contacting the Town Clerk at least 7 days prior to the meeting. Items that are based on a statutory requirement will be automatically placed on the agenda. Requests for items that do not have a statutory requirement may only be added to the agenda if the Mayor or a member of Council agrees to sponsor such request.