New Town Hall Project
UPDATE - October 24, 2023
Personnel Moving into Town Hall on Thursday, Oct. 26; Opens to Public on Monday, Oct. 30
The Town Office will be closed to customers Thursday and Friday
The Town of Middleburg is excited to inform the community that the Town Hall Project is expected to be ready for occupancy by the end of the day on Wednesday, October 23. Accordingly, the Town intends to move its personnel into the Town Hall on Thursday, October 26, with additional training and systems integration to occur on Friday, October 27. This move is the culmination of 21 months of construction on the 11,400 square foot Town Hall building, which includes the Town Administration, Police Department, and multiple public meeting rooms.
On the day of the move, October 26, the Town Office will be closed to customers as personnel will be relocating their offices and the phone system will be converted to the new building. During this time, citizens can contact the Town with urgent or immediate issues at the following numbers:
- Danny Davis, Town Manager: 571-209-0523 (m)
- Will Moore, Deputy Town Manager: 540-303-6094 (m)
- Chief Shaun Jones: 540-216-1221 (m)
On Friday, October 27, the Town Office will also be closed. The Town’s phone system will be operational, but most staff will be unavailable as they finalize the move and ensure all systems are functioning properly. On this day, customers can reach the Town at its main phone number – 540-687-5152 – although staff availability will be limited.
The Town Hall will fully open to customers beginning on Monday, October 30, at 8:30 a.m. Upon moving to the Town Hall, the Town Government will adjust its normal operating hours to 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.
Access to the Town Hall is currently available via North Pendleton Street. There are 47 parking spaces at the Town Hall, along with a Town Green for use by the public. In addition, the Town Hall offers public restrooms from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. daily, including weekends and holidays, at the main entrance from the parking lot.
The Town Council meeting scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. will still be held at the current Town Office. Beginning the week of October 30, all public meetings will be held at the Town Hall.
With the completion of Phase 1 of the Project, work will soon begin on Phase 2, which includes demolition of the existing Town Office and development of a new park and driveway. Once Phase 2 is complete, access to the Town Hall will be via both West Marshall Street and North Pendleton Street. Phase 2 is expected to be completed by early 2024.
Customers to the Town Hall are encouraged to use caution, as limited construction activities will be continuing on the property.
Voters in the Middleburg Precinct are reminded that voting on November 7, 2023, will occur at the Town Hall, from 6 a.m. – 7 p.m. More information about voting is available at www.loudoun.gov/vote.
A formal Open House is anticipated for Thursday, November 16, from 4–5:30 p.m., at which time residents will be offered an opportunity to tour the entire building. An official ribbon cutting ceremony will be held at the completion of Phase 2.
PRIOR UPDATES - September 25, 2023
The Town continues to work with the general contractor to complete Phase 1 of the Town Hall so that the Town can take occupancy as soon as possible. November elections are scheduled to be held at the Town Hall, and the Town staff are pushing the contractor to reach Phase 1 Occupancy in a few weeks prior to Election Day.
While this project has been delayed from its original completion date, the Town appreciates the patience of the public during construction. More details on the move of Town operations into the new Town Hall will be announced in the coming weeks.
Please also note that “Phase 2” of the project requires the removal of the existing office and completion of the driveway and walkway from W. Marshall Street. The space will also include a small park with benches for use by the public as a passive park.
We ask that the community continue to stay out of any active construction areas and to use caution around the site.
Please reach out to us at 540-687-5152 with any questions!
The Town of Middleburg has identified the need to build a new Town Hall to facilitate efficient operations, to provide more public gathering space, and to better serve the public.
- Click here to view our Public Info Sessions, and to read about the community support around the project.
- Click here for a history of the project, including the need and the plan moving forward.
On December 16, 2021, the Town Council awarded the bid for the project to Cooper Building Services, LLC, of Frederick, Maryland. A contract was signed in the amount of $10.688 million; however, the Town staff and construction management team continue work to identify additional value engineering opportunities to further reduce the price. Construction is currently underway on Phase 1, which involves the construction of the building itself. Based on the schedule, the Town staff will move into the new building the last week of 2022, with the facilities opening to the public in January of 2023. Phase II, which involves the demolition of the existing Town Office building and the construction of a pocket park in its place, is anticipated to be completed in April of 2023.
Latest Construction Update
The contractor is working on the building foundation. It is anticipated that the steel work will begin July 5th.
- 11,400+/- square feet, includes Administration, Council Chambers, Police Department, Public Meeting Rooms & Public Restrooms
- Located immediately behind existing Town Office (which will be demolished at end of project to allow for development of a public park)
- Nearly 1.8 acres, with almost 2 acres of disturbed land for all construction activity
- 2 public green spaces for passive parks, activities, festivals and events
- 47 parking spaces to serve the building and Village Green/activities, as well as provide general visitor parking with easy access to downtown area
- Awarded construction contract: $10.688 million
- Primary funding through debt financing, with grant from Loudoun County and potential federal grant
- Town's current revenues are sufficient to cover the debt service for the project and fund all current Town operations
- Substantial site work to begin in early February 2022, with building open to public in January 2023.
- Total project completion in May 2023