To help you avoid the unpleasant experience of burglary, we've created a list of practical theft prevention tips:
- Light all exterior points of entry with permanent fixtures that are difficult to reach or tamper with.
- Light the interior of your business enough that someone outside the building could see someone inside.
- Install a fence or hedge - it's your first line of defense. You should be able to see through the fence.
- Hedges should be wide, rather than high, and of a prickly, thorny variety.
- Install window locks designed/positioned so they cannot be unlocked after breaking the glass.
- Install safety glass (glazing). It is highly effective at deterring break-ins.
- Install motion detectors and alarms to sense movement inside the building.
- Install a deadbolt lock/latch in each exterior door.
- Lock overhead and receiving doors with high-quality padlocks or other devices.
Tips for Managers
- Ensure that all employees receive a written statement of key policies and procedures, and that they acknowledge receipt by their signature.
- Make it easy for employees to come forward to report their suspicions or concerns:
- Tell employees what to report and when to report it.
- Tell employees exactly how the information they provide will be used.
- Reassure employees that they are doing the right thing.
- Make yourself accessible to employees.
- Don't criticize employees who may be over-cautious.
- Respond immediately when you receive an employee call for assistance.